Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Magestic Japanese Maples at Cloudehill Gardens

I have talked about Cloudehill gardens on my blog before. They are the most amazing, breathtaking gardens. The main reason I decided to visit these stunning gardens was to see their much talked about weeping Japanese maples. Cloudehill have 2 prized 'acer palmatum 'dissectum atropurpureum' on display that are so superb, you have to see them to believe it. They have gorgeous coppery red foliage & are huge! They were given as a gift by the Japanese in 1928! They have been pruned over the years in such a way that they are considered living sculptures.

When I visited the gardens, I made sure I took photos of them. Here are two with little helper in front so you can see just how big they are

 


Here's a photo of the inside of the branches & what the trunk looks like. Look how the trunk & main branches are all curly looking after so many years of growing & strengthening & ageing. Spectacular trees. I love the under planting & the little Japanese touches in the torch & statue.


Here they are side by side in all their majestic glory.

 

 

I'm thinking I might buy this variety when we own our own home down the track. There are so many Japanese maple varieties, it's so hard to choose!

Thanks for reading,

Bel

No comments:

Post a Comment