Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Gardens Gone By

So, to get my blog off & running, thought I'd post a few pics of my first Summer garden (from 2010/11) & my second Spring/Summer garden 2011/12. The whole Autumn/Winter period 2011, my patch consisted of weeds. I was pregnant & very sick with all day & night sickness PLUS chasing a toddler around, so the garden was just a lump of dirt for a period there, but with a bit of pulling this out & raking that, it was reborn!

Below are a few photos of my first ever veggie patch. Summer 2010/11

Humble beginnings Summer 2010. Here I had planted dwarf beans, zuchini, eggplant, cucumber, a bunch of herbs, beetroot & carrots.


Looking fresh & full by March 2011. Harvested some nice beans, zuchini & cucumbers. Carrots were a big fail, as were the herbs! Got huge eggplant plants but no eggplants! & beets were small & bitter. So, half success & half failure. I was super happy considering it was my first veggie patch ever!



Grew some gorgeous dwarf sunflowers by end of summer 2011


Then along came Spring/Summer that just passed, 2011/12. Started off great, was my first time growing tomatoes, had big, gorgeous tomatoes everywhere, I was SO HAPPY! Then a huge hail storm hit & ruined my whole garden :( The beans recovered but everything else suffered too much. It was a bit sad but you've just gotta move right along in this gardening game & take failure in your stride!

Here's a photo of the initial planting. I grew climbing beans, zucchini, parsley & giant sunflowers from seed. Planted 16 tomato varieties from seedlings. Got a bit tomato excited hehe


Me in the garden with my baby daughter. Things were looking beautiful before the storm.


Some of my beautiful tomatoes & a cute little nasturtium




My climbing beans. I was so happy with how much they grew from seed! Success!

Two seasons come & gone. Me & my family ate many lovely veggies & a few were better thrown over the fence!

Have an awesome day!

Bel

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment