Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Dahlia on Death Row

I've taken up a little hobby recently. I've started going to the discount section at nurseries buying awesome, half dead plants really cheap & nursing them back to health! I'm loving it!! It's cheap & it's rewarding.

I've been wanting to buy a Dahlia after seeing the most amazing one at Cloudehill Gardens In the Dandenongs (they are the most amazing gardens!). I believe it's called Midnight Sun. Here's a photo I took of it. It's the plant with bright yellow flowers & dark purple foiliage. Such a dramatic clash of colours. I love it.

Isnt it amazing!!!??!! Here it is amongst the other plants & trees in the warm beds at Cloudehill.

So, when I saw a slightly worse for wear dahlia at the nursery half price, I bought it straight away. Mine has dark green foliage & gorgeous cream blooms with fluffy, bright yellow centres. It's such a beautiful plant & doesn't look like its on it's death bed anymore after some pruning & a big dose of seasol. It's pot is a bit average, but it's all I had at the time.


Funny, the Dahlia hadn't been in its pot for more than 3 minutes when a little bee flew straight on to my balcony, straight to the bright yellow flower centre & went to town in the soft pollen. His little face was covered in it. My son was suitably impressed with Mr Bee & once he was done collecting pollen, he was gone.



Mother nature hard at work on my humble balcony garden. Makes me smile.

Dahlia's need lots of sunlight & flower from spring through to autumn, so I'm getting the last blooms now. They like to always be moist as well so will need to keep on top of that. Not sure of its position on my balcony at the moment. Thinking about a bit of a re-arrange soon. To be continued.....

 

Until next time, stay well!

Bel

No comments:

Post a Comment