Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Autumn/Winter Garden Begins!

Had a great time planting my Autumn/winter garden. The ground was all turned over, fertilised & loose, ready for my new seeds & plants before I started.


First up, started with my pea seedlings. Piled up some soil at the base of my trellis & placed the seedlings out with the right amount of spacing (or there abouts) so I knew how many I could fit! Yippee, fit them all!!!


Next up, made a hole for each seedling, in they went & patted them in!

Then on to planting my sugar snap peas. I have never grown these before so pretty excited! I adore them so I'm hoping they do well. I'm growing these from seed.

I made a long mound of dirt again & hammered in 2 stakes left over from my tomatoes last season & will make another trellis some day soon for my peas to climb up!


Made some little holes with my fingers & my little helper put the pea seeds in to their little holes.

We then filled the little holes with soil together & lightly patted them in (little helper, not so lightly)


Next up- garlic! First time growing this too. I purchased some bulbs from bunnings & broke one apart in to individual cloves & pushed them into the ground, point up! But before this, little helper tried to push the entire garlic bulb into the dirt!


Love the little concentration tongue out.


So eventually, cloves in & ready for our next veg, silver beet. I have always loved silver beet. My Nonna would boil it then fry it with potatoes, olive oil & garlic. I always loved eating it this way growing up & still request it to this day. Looking forward to giving her my silver beet this year to cook up for us!

Started the silver beet from seed. Made little holes, popped them in & patted them down.

Below are the uncovered silver beet seeds. Never realised they were so big! The packet suggested planting a few in a bunch so I imagine I'll be thinning them out once they sprout. We'll see! The fun is finding out along the way.



Finally little helper planted his own little nasturtium plant all by himself. I made a small mound for him next to the silver beet, made a small hole & let him do the rest! He did a great job :)


Here's a few photos of our finished work today


That's it for now. Next time I get out in the patch I'll be sowing leek & spring onion seeds & perhaps a few other things. See how I go.



Until next time readers, enjoy your day!

Bel

 

No comments:

Post a Comment