Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Repotting My Japanese Maple- Sango Kaku

Yesterday, early evening, I repotted my Japanese maple, sango kaku. It's been in its pot for over a year & it's been doing really well & doubled in size. I decided to repot it into a bigger pot this autumn/winter to support its beautiful growth.

I purchased a lovely glazed pot with 3 drainage holes. I always make sure there are 3 drainage holes for my maples because they need good drainage. I bought pot feet to aid with drainage as well.

I also purchased premium potting mix, some perlite & some pretty stones to use as mulch- and for prettiness of course!

First step, remove the maple from it's small pot. Seemed easy but it actually took quite a bit of effort! It wasn't round bound as such, but it had a beautiful big root ball that I had to squeeze out of the opening.

It was pretty stuck for a while there.

Finally got it out!

Next I added some potting mix & some perlite, plus some slow release fertiliser & mixed it all together at the bottom of the pot. Perlite adds lightness to the potting mix which helps with drainage, as well as all the other little drainage improving tricks I mentioned above. It's very important to get good drainage for the tree's health.

Here I am adding the potting mix. I chose this potting mix because it's high quality & because it has water saver crystals already added to it, so I didn't have to buy them separately. It's good to have them in there so the tree doesn't dry out if your slightly slack with watering.


Adding Perlite. I'm wearing my new floral gloves!

Some slow realise fertiliser. Little helper learning.

 

I added enough potting mix to raise the tree to the right level in the pot. Little helper mixed the soil, perlite & fertiliser through evenly.


In the pot it went.

Then I filled the pot up with perlite, soil & fertiliser mix once again.

I watered the maple in well & then it got dark & cold, so on to the next morning.

Out I went to sweep up the dirt & leaves & add the pretty stones to the top of the pot

Little helper started out by adding them one by one. Too cute right?

 

Eventually, we go them all on.


 

Sango kaku in its beautiful new pot.

 

 

From little helper & I,

Have a great week,

Bel

No comments:

Post a Comment