Thursday, May 31, 2012

Autumn/Winter Garden End of May 2012

Just got back from my veggie patch. It's is freezing out there today! I've been looking out over my patch for a few weeks but with all the rain & cold weather, today was the first time I'd been down there for a while. I trained a few pea plants up their trellis that had fallen flat on the floor & I ate my first snow pea! Yum, nothing like home grown veggies from your own plant.

Harvested some spinach to go in a salad today & some parsley to go in a bechamel sauce for a lasagna. Here are a few photos of how everything is looking now.

My parsley & spinach harvest.

Snow peas climbing slowly.

Whoever was eating the spinach seemed to have stopped, so it's growing once again. Might be too cold for spinach stealing at the moment.

Here's a nice little silver beet plant. I have no idea why this plant is green & all the other silver beet are red?? They came from the same seed packet. If you know, please let me know.

Little silver beet plants. Slow growing.

Parsley & garlic much the same.

The sugar snap peas are looking a bit sad at the bottom, but the tops are very healthy. I'm not sure if this is a problem, but they are flowering, so perhaps it's ok.

 

My Autumn/Winter patch end of May 2012. Things seem to be progressing very slowly. I wonder if it's the cold weather & winter plants grow slower than warm weather plants? If you know, please leave me a comment & let me know if I'm right.

Still haven't done anything about that poorly laid soaker hose. I blame all the rain.

My backyard is a blanket of lush, green clover at the moment & it's really very pretty.

Thanks for reading,

Bel

No comments:

Post a Comment